THOMAS BRANDSTRADER, Chicago Criminal Defense Attorney, specializes in the defense and appeals of serious criminal matters in Illinois and U.S. Federal Courts. He is one of a select group of highly qualified lawyers certified by the Illinois Supreme Court as lead counsel in Death Penalty cases. With 38 years exclusively in the practice of Criminal Law he has exceptional appellate court and trial work experience. Accomplishments include the distinct opportunity to present oral arguments to both the Illinois Appellate and Supreme Courts. He has authored over five hundred briefs and appeared in every appellate district in Illinois as well as the Seventh and Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. Mr. Brandstrader’s expertise includes all areas of criminal defense, appellate and post conviction practice. He has been awarded an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell, their highest attorney rating, every year since 2003 and recognized as a preeminent attorney in the area of Criminal Appellate Law by Leading Lawyers, a division of Law Bulletin Publishing Company every year since 2005.
Overview ~ The office of Thomas C. Brandstrader concentrates exclusively in the areas of Illinois State and Federal Criminal Defense , Appeals and State Post Conviction law including extensive experience in:
- Aggravated Battery
- Burglary/Home Invasion
- Capital Offenses
- Criminal Appeals
- Criminal Conspiracy
- Criminal Fraud ~ Criminal Forfeiture
- Death penalty cases
- Drugs and Narcotics
- Federal and State Criminal Law and Defense
- Federal and State Appeals
- First Degree Murder, Manslaughter, Reckless Homicide
- Jury Trials, Bench Trials, Pretrial Motions
- Parole and Probation
- Post Conviction Litigation
- Post Trial Motions, Sentencing Hearings
- Search and Seizure
- 1979, California State Bar
- 1981, Illinois State Bar
- 1983, U.S. District Court, Northern, Central and Southern Districts of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh and Ninth Circuits
- Recipient: American Jurisprudence Award in Criminal Procedure.
- Assistant Public Defender, Cook County Public Defender’s Office;
- Public Defender’s Union Negotiating Committee, 1987.
- Treasurer, Public Defender’s Union, 1987.
- Qualified Lead Counsel, Illinois Capital Litigation Bar, Appointed by the Illinois Supreme Court, 2002.
- Appointed by the Illinois Supreme Court as Lead Counsel for Capital Litigation Cases
- Awarded Martindale-Hubbell Lawyer’s Rating of AV, their highest Attorney Rating.
- Recognized as preeminent attorney in the area of Criminal Appellate Law by Leading Lawyers.
Bar/Professional Association Involvement ~
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Illinois Attorneys for Criminal Justice
- Lawyers’ Assistance Program
- Cook County Circuit Court Arbitration Program
- Federal Defenders Association