THOMAS BRANDSTRADER, Chicago Criminal Defense Attorney, specializes in the defense and appeals of serious criminal matters in Illinois and U.S. Federal Courts. He is one of a select group of highly qualified lawyers certified by the Illinois Supreme Court as lead counsel in Death Penalty cases. With 35 years exclusively in the practice of Criminal Law he has exceptional appellate court experience and extensive trial work. Accomplishments include the distinct opportunity to orally present arguments and issues to both the Illinois Appellate and Supreme Courts. Has authored over five hundred briefs and appeared in every appellate district in Illinois as well as the Seventh and Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. Expertise includes all areas of criminal defense and appellate and post conviction practice. Awarded an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell, their highest attorney rating, every year since 2003 and recognized as a preeminent attorney in the area of Criminal Appellate Law by Leading Lawyers, a division of Law Bulletin Publishing Company every year since 2005.
Overview ~ The office of Thomas C. Brandstrader concentrates exclusively in the areas of Illinois State and Federal Criminal Defense and Appeals and State Post Conviction law:
- Aggravated Battery
- Burglary/Home Invasion
- Capital Offenses
- Criminal Appeals
- Criminal Conspiracy
- Criminal Defense–Federal and State
- Criminal Fraud ~ Criminal Forfeiture
- Drugs and Narcotics
- Felonies ~ Federal Criminal Law
- Murder, Manslaughter, Reckless Homicide
- Parole and Probation
- Post-Conviction Remedies
- Search and Seizure
- 1979, California
- 1981, Illinois
- 1983, U.S. District Court, Northern, Central and Southern Districts of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh and Ninth Circuits
- Recipient: American Jurisprudence Award in Criminal Procedure.
- Assistant Public Defender, Cook County Public Defender’s Office;
- Public Defender’s Union Negotiating Committee, 1987.
- Treasurer, Public Defender’s Union, 1987.
- Qualified Lead Counsel, Illinois Capital Litigation Bar, Appointed by the Illinois Supreme Court, 2002.
- Appointed by the Illinois Supreme Court as Lead Counsel for Capital Litigation Cases
- Awarded Martindale-Hubbell Lawyer’s Rating of AV, their highest Attorney Rating.
- Recognized as preeminent attorney in the area of Criminal Appellate Law by Leading Lawyers.
Bar/Professional Association Involvement ~
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Illinois Attorneys for Criminal Justice
- Lawyers’ Assistance Program
- Cook County Circuit Court Arbitration Program
- Federal Defenders Association